Claiming Pets as Dependents on Taxes: What You Need to Know

Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

As a pet owner, you may be wondering if you can claim your beloved furry friend as a dependent on your taxes. While the answer is not straightforward, there are certain circumstances in which it may be possible. Here’s what you need to know:

Claiming Pets as Dependents on Taxes: What You Need to KnowClaiming Pets as Dependents on Taxes: What You Need to Know

Can Pets Be Considered Dependents for Tax Purposes?

The short answer is no, pets cannot be considered dependents for tax purposes. The IRS defines dependents as “qualifying children or relatives,” and pets do not meet this requirement.

However, while pets cannot be claimed as dependents directly, there are some situations where they may indirectly impact your taxes.

Medical Expenses

If you have a service animal that assists with managing a disability or medical condition, such as a guide dog for vision impairment or an emotional support animal (ESA) for anxiety or depression, their expenses could potentially be deductible on your tax return.

To qualify for this deduction:

  • Your pet must be prescribed by a licensed healthcare professional.
  • Their role must relate specifically to treating or mitigating symptoms of the illness.
  • The costs accrued from owning and caring for the pet are higher than those of an ordinary house pet.

While these guidelines mean that most people will not qualify for any write-offs related to their pets’ medical expenses -which can add up quickly— consult with your accountant to make sure if it applies to you.

Consult with the vet who prescribed treatment options; they may provide an itemized proof of money spent towards maintaining their health when filing claims with insurance companies since these costs should also count towards deductions during tax time

Moving Expenses

If you’ve had to move recently because of work and took along Fido (or Kitty), then good news might await! Moving expenses incurred due solely-to business purposes could include transporting Fluffy along with other possessions upon moving day if meet certain criteria set by the IRS. Following are some of these conditions you need to follow:

  • The move must be closely related in time and place to starting work at your new job location.
  • You must pass a distance test: note that If previously unemployed, then the new workplace must be at least 50 miles further than from where you resided before taking up the job.
  • Time Test is also critical here; the taxpayer needs to work full-time for at least 39 weeks during their first year under employment.


While pets cannot be claimed as dependents on your taxes, there are still opportunities for tax deductions if they meet certain criteria such as being prescribed pets by professional health care providers or meeting specific requirements when moving homes because of business concerns. As always, consult with an accountant or tax specialist familiar with regulations and guidelines regarding write-offs and animal ownership.


Here are three popular FAQs related to claiming pets as dependents on taxes, along with their answers:

Q: Can I claim my pet as a dependent on my taxes?
A: No, you cannot claim your pet as a dependent on your federal income tax return. The IRS does not consider pets to be dependents, regardless of how much money you spend on their care.

Q: Are there any tax deductions or credits available for pet owners?
A: While the cost of caring for and owning a pet can add up quickly, unfortunately there are no federal tax deductions or credits specifically designed for pet owners. However, some expenses associated with service animals or guide dogs may be eligible for deduction as medical expenses.

Q: What about state taxes? Can I deduct any expenses related to my pets when filing state taxes?
A: It depends on the specific state you live in and its individual tax laws. Some states do offer certain tax deductions related to pets; for example, some states allow taxpayers who adopt animals from shelters or rescue organizations to take a deduction when filing their state income taxes. You should consult with a qualified tax professional who is familiar with the laws in your particular state to determine whether any deductions might apply to you.