Discover the Tax-Free Income Limit for Children in 2023

Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

Discover the Tax-Free Income Limit for Children in 2023. As a parent, you want to provide the best possible future for your children. One of the ways to achieve this is by securing their financial future. In Canada, one way to do that is through tax-free income limits for children.

Understanding Tax-Free Income Limits for Children

Tax-free income limits allow minors under age 18 to earn an income up to a certain limit without having to pay federal taxes on it. The limit varies each year and depends on the type of income earned.

Discover the Tax-Free Income Limit for Children in 2023

Tax-Free Income Limit for Children in 2023

In 2023, the basic personal amount (BPA) will be $13,808. This means that if your child earns less than or equal to this amount as taxable income in 2023, they will not have to pay any federal taxes on it. However, if your child earns more than $13,808 in taxable income in 2023, they will need to file a tax return and may be required to pay federal taxes depending on other factors such as deductions or credits.

Provincial or Territorial Taxes

It’s important also keep in mind that provincial or territorial taxes may apply based on where you live and where your child earned their income.

Opportunities for Parents

There are many opportunities available for parents who want their children to take advantage of these tax-free benefits:

  • Encourage your child into starting a small business: Not only does it help them develop valuable skills like budgeting and entrepreneurship but also allows them earning potential.
  • Set up an RESP: A Registered Education Savings Plan(RSEP) provides parents with great incentive program that helps save money towards education expenses.

Child Tax Credit in 2023

In the United States, the child tax credit isn’t going away, but it has returned to its previous levels. There are a handful of requirements that you — and your kids — must meet before the IRS will let you claim the tax credit, such as:

  • Income thresholds of $400,000 for married couples and $200,000 for all other filers (single taxpayers and heads of households). Your credit amount is reduced by $50 for each $1,000 of income exceeding the threshold.
  • Each qualifying child must be United States citizen or resident alien and have a valid Social Security number.
  • The child is a legally recognized child, stepchild, foster child, sibling, half-brother or half-sister or a descendant of one of these categories (such as a grandchild, niece or nephew).
  • You provided at least half of the child’s financial support in the last year.
  • The qualifying child lived with you for over half the year.
  • You must claim the child as a dependent on your tax return.


Overall, Canada offers excellent opportunities exclusively available for young investors allowing more individuals capacity at earlier stages while still experiencing compound benefits over time. Educate yourself about what might fit best with your child’s interests and take advantage of these opportunities. By doing so, your children will be able to build their financial future while benefiting from tax-free income limits. Remember to consult with a financial expert before making any investment decisions.


What is the tax-free income limit for children in 2023?

In 2023, the tax-free income limit for children will depend on their age and filing status. Children who are under the age of 19, or under 24 if they’re a full-time student, can earn up to $12,550 before they have to file a federal income tax return.

Can my child still receive tax-exempt gifts even if they exceed this limit?

Yes, parents or other individuals can gift assets such as stocks, real estate or cash to their children without those assets being considered taxable-income for either party. For example, the parent’s one-off contribution may be up to $15,000 annually per child gift around.

How do I report my child’s earned income on my taxes?

If your child has earned any taxable wages during the year through part-time work for instance , then you will need to include this information when you file your own personal taxes by filling out Schedule C (Form1040). You should also provide your child with Form W-2 which is provided by their employer that includes his/her gross pay and withholding amounts with respect to employer-sponsored social security and medicare deductions -if applicable.