As the year comes to a close, it’s time to start thinking about filing your taxes for the upcoming year. Many people wonder when they can start filing their taxes for 2022. In this article, we’ll explore some key dates and tips you should keep in mind as tax season approaches.
The Start of the Tax Filing Season
Breaking news: Tax season is finally almost here. The IRS announced that it will begin accepting and processing 2022 tax returns on Jan. 23, 2023. In a news release, the agency said it predicts over 168 million individual income tax returns will be filed. It also promised better customer service — namely, thousands of more phone reps and in-person staffers who can help taxpayers with their questions.
Key Dates to Remember
Here are some important dates to remember for the upcoming tax season:
- January 1, 2023: The IRS will begin accepting electronic filed tax returns on this date.
- January 23, 2023: This is when the IRS starts processing returns.
- April 18, 2023: This is Tax Day! Be sure to file your return or request an extension by this deadline.
Tips for Filing Your Taxes
While it may seem overwhelming at first, there are steps you can take to make filing your taxes easier and stress-free:
- Gather all necessary documents: Make sure you have all of your W-2s or other income statements from employers and other sources before starting the process. Remember that these forms may arrive later than usual due to COVID-related delays.
- Use online tools: There are many free online tools available that can assist with calculating deductions and credits or even preparing and e-filing your entire tax return. Research which options work best for your unique situation.
- Don’t wait until the last minute! Filing early not only helps ensure accuracy but also minimizes the risk of potential identity theft or fraud.
Filing taxes can be stressful but staying organized throughout the process can make things much easier. By knowing key dates ahead of time and taking advantage of available resources such as online tools, taxpayers can reduce anxiety and be better prepared come tax day.
- When can I start filing my taxes for the 2022 tax year?
The IRS typically starts accepting tax returns in late January or early February of each year. However, the exact date can vary from year to year. For example, if you are planning to file your taxes for the 2022 tax year, you will most likely be able to start doing so sometime between mid-January and early February of 2023.
- Do I need any special software or forms to file my taxes online?
If you plan on filing your taxes online for the upcoming tax season, there are many different software options available that can make this process much easier. Popular options include TurboTax, H&R Block, and TaxAct. Most of these programs offer both free and paid versions depending on your needs.
In addition to using software, you may also be required to complete specific forms based on your individual circumstances (e.g., Form W-2 if you received wages from an employer). Be sure to review all necessary documentation thoroughly before starting your tax return.
- What is the deadline for filing my federal income tax return?
For most taxpayers who earn income through traditional employment or self-employment activities, April 15th is usually considered the deadline for federal income tax filings in a given calendar year (e.g., April 15th of 2023 would be the deadline for filing federal income taxes related to earnings during the calendar year of 2022).
However; it’s important to note that this date may change slightly from one year to another based on factors like weekends or other holidays falling around that time period.