How Much Can You Earn Before Paying Taxes?

Photo of author
Written By kevin

A financial strategist with a knack for demystifying taxes and insurance, Kevin distills complex concepts into actionable advice.

Knowing when your earnings become subject to U.S. taxes is an important consideration, especially if you have income from international sources. The U.S. has over 60 income tax treaties with foreign countries that determine if and when tax should be withheld on different types of income.

Withholding tax is based on the gross amount paid and is applied even if the recipient may not end up owing any net U.S. tax. Understanding how much you can earn before taxes are withheld under treaty agreements can help taxpayers and businesses engaged in cross-border transactions properly comply with regulations.

Key Factors That Determine U.S. Tax Liability

Whether your income is subject to any U.S. tax depends primarily on three factors:

  1. Your residency status
  2. The source of the income
  3. The type of income

U.S. Residency Status

  • U.S. citizens and resident aliens are taxed by the U.S. on their worldwide income. So there is no threshold for when taxes apply if you have this status.
  • Non-resident aliens are taxed differently. You only owe U.S. tax on income that is effectively connected with a U.S. trade or business or that comes from U.S. sources.

Treaty agreements with various countries provide exemptions on certain types of U.S. source income, allowing non-residents to earn up to a specified amount before taxes are imposed.

Source of Income Rules

The source of income determines if it should be treated as U.S. source or foreign source income for tax purposes. Some key source rules are:

  • Employment income is generally sourced based on where services are performed.
  • Interest and dividend income is usually sourced based on the residence of the payer.
  • Income from rental property or royalties depends on the location of the underlying asset.

Tax treaties often override domestic source rules, exempting certain U.S. income from tax for treaty country residents.

Categories of Income

Common categories of income addressed in treaties include:

  • Investment income like dividends, interest etc.
  • Income from real estate
  • Business profits
  • Wages, salaries etc. from employment
  • Pensions
  • Income from entertainment or sports activities

Treaties may fully exempt some income types or only tax them after a threshold is crossed. Understanding these thresholds can help taxpayers ascertain their U.S tax liability.

IRS Treaty Tables

The key reference to determine exempt income thresholds is the IRS Tax Treaty Tables publication.

It contains various tables summarizing treaty provisions for non-resident taxpayers from over 60 countries. Four key tables are:

Table 1 – Tax Rates on Income Other Than Personal Service Income

This shows the maximum rates, ranging from 5% to 30%, at which different types of “passive income” like dividends, interest, royalties etc. may be taxed for treaty country residents. It also indicates income types that may be fully exempt from tax.

For example, under the treaty with India, the following thresholds apply for when taxes can be imposed:

  • Dividends – 15% rate applies only if ownership exceeds 10%
  • Interest – Exempt if paid by banks or on most government debt
  • Royalties – No exemption, full tax rate applies

So by referring to Table 1, Indian residents can determine how much dividend or interest income they can earn from U.S. sources before taxes are withheld.

Table 2 – Exemption or Reduced Rate of Tax for Personal Service Income

This table focuses on income earned from personal services, such as wages and salaries from employment, independent personal services, income from entertainment/sports activities or pensions.

It indicates income thresholds up to which such income is exempt from U.S. tax for qualifying teachers, researchers, athletes etc. from treaty countries.

For example, the treaty with China exempts up to $5,000 of income received by students or business apprentices for personal services. Chinese students and apprentices can use this threshold to ascertain if their U.S. earned income exceeds the exempt amount.

Table 3 – List of Countries With U.S. Tax Treaties

This handy table lists over 60 countries that have active tax treaties with the United States along with details like the treaty signing date, latest protocol updates etc.

It serves as a quick reference to check if a beneficial treaty applies to your country of residence. Having an active treaty is essential for claiming exemptions or reduced rates.

Table 4 – Limitation on Benefits

This table summarizes anti-treaty-shopping provisions that can deny treaty benefits even if the treaty criteria are met. It aims to prevent residents of third countries from improperly routing investments through treaty countries just to exploit treaty provisions.

So investors should evaluate if limitation of benefits clauses apply to their situation when determining applicable income thresholds.

Taxpayer and Withholding Agent Responsibilities

To actually receive applicable treaty benefits like exempt income thresholds, taxpayers need to provide appropriate documentation to the withholding agent.

Common forms used are:

These forms allow non-resident taxpayers to certify their eligibility for treaty benefits. The withholding agent can then rely on them to determine the correct amount to withhold.

Withholding agents also have an obligation to properly determine and apply treaty rates and exemptions. They can use the Withholding Agent Tool on or refer to Publication 515 for guidelines.

Considerations for Foreign Laws and Procedures

While treaties reduce or eliminate U.S. tax, the foreign country of residence may impose taxes on the same income. So applicable foreign laws should be considered as well.

In addition, each treaty country has specific procedures for how taxpayers claim treaty benefits on their local tax return. These may involve additional certification or providing copies of U.S. forms.

Understanding foreign taxation rules and local regulatory procedures is vital for taxpayers to fully eliminate double taxation.


Determining how much income you can earn before U.S taxes apply requires evaluating your residency status, the source of your income, and the type of income based on IRS treaty tables.

Withholding agents also play a key role in appropriately applying treaty provisions like exempt income thresholds.

Consider both U.S. and foreign jurisdiction rules to maximize after-tax income. Additional resources like Publication 901 – U.S. Tax Treaties provide more detailed information about treaty provisions.

I hope this overview on income thresholds has been helpful! Let me know if you need any clarification or have additional questions.

Categories Tax