File 2024 Taxes as a Non-Worker: Unmissable Strategies

Photo of author
Written By kevin

A financial strategist with a knack for demystifying taxes and insurance, Kevin distills complex concepts into actionable advice.

Hey there, folks! Let’s talk about something that’s as certain as death and taxes… well, taxes. Even if you’re not working, Uncle Sam might still want a word with you. So, let’s dive into the thrilling world of tax returns for non-workers. Buckle up, it’s going to be a wild ride!

What’s a Tax Return Anyway?

Think of a tax return as your annual financial report card to the IRS. It’s where you spill the beans about your income, calculate the taxes you owe, or the refund you’re due. And guess what? Even if you’re not working and have no income, you might still have to file one. Surprise!

Why Would Non-Workers Need to File Taxes?

You might be thinking, “I’m not working, why would I need to file taxes?” Well, there are a few reasons:

  • You received unemployment benefits (yes, those count!)
  • You had taxable interest or dividend income over $10 (every penny counts!)
  • Your spouse earned enough dough that requires them to file (and you’re married filing separately)
  • Someone else can claim you as a dependent on their taxes (like your parents or guardians)

Filing taxes, even when it’s not strictly necessary, can open up opportunities for non-working individuals to receive refunds under certain refundable credits. More on that later!

The Paperwork: Which Forms Will You Need?

Depending on your situation, the IRS might require you to fill out specific forms. Here are a few common ones:

  • Form 1040EZ: For single or married folks with no dependents, no home ownership, and an annual taxable income less than $100,000.
  • Form 1040: If you have at least one dependent child, you’ll likely need this form. It allows exemptions for each dependent child.
  • Additional Forms: Depending on your circumstances, you might need to file other forms like Schedule A (for deductions) or Form 8880 (for retirement savings contributions).

Understanding Tax Credits and Deductions

As a non-worker, you might not have as many tax credits and deductions as your working counterparts. But don’t fret! There are still some you can claim that can make a significant difference in your tax situation.

Refundable Tax Credits

These are the golden tickets of the tax world. They can provide refunds even if you don’t owe any taxes. Here are a couple you might be eligible for:

  • Earned Income Tax Credit: If you have a qualifying child or meet the income requirements ($15,270 maximum earned income), you might be eligible for this credit.
  • Additional Child Tax Credit: If your child is under 17 at the end of the year and you can’t claim all of this credit based on what you owe in taxes, you might be able to get some extra cash.

Other Credits

There are also “non-refundable” credits which only reduce your taxable wages and must be used towards your liability before they give back any money. Here are a couple:

  • Education/Tuition Cost Credits: These offer up to $2k annually per student after meeting certain eligibility criteria like full-time school attendance.
  • Retirement Savings Contributions Credit (Saver’s Credit): This refundable credit is especially beneficial when it comes to giving away dollars from taxes paid on withdrawals taken during retirement years by people who contribute into specific types of accounts like Roth IRA’s.


Deductibles lower your taxable income depending on how much you spent on qualifying expenses. Here are a couple to consider:

  • Standard Deduction: The amount depends on your filing status and age.
  • Itemized deduction: Detailed record keeping helps determine if itemizing vs taking the standard deduction works best for lowering your taxable income.

How to File Taxes?

You can file taxes the old-fashioned way by filling out paper forms and mailing them to the IRS. Or, you can join the 21st century and E-file.

  • Traditional Filing: You can fill out your tax returns using a computer program like TurboTax or visit a local library or community center that offers free access to tax preparation software.
  • Online filing: If your income falls below $72k/year, you can use online tax-preparation services supported through the “IRS Free File” program. Some apps like Credit Karma Tax even offer live technical support from certified public accountants (CPAs) throughout the preparation process.


Filing taxes might not be your idea of a good time, but it’s a necessary part of financial management. Even if you’re not working, filing your tax returns can benefit you in numerous ways, like making you eligible for some refundable credits and saving money by claiming appropriate deductions. Hopefully, this guide has shed some light on the process and made it a little less daunting. Remember, whether you’re employed full-time, part-time, or not at all, Uncle Sam is always watching!